Assistant Professor, Management & Organizational Studies
Since the majority of the students in my course are beginning their post-secondary journey, my focus is on developing their ability to not only think critically, but also to have the confidence to communicate those insights effectively.”
Richie Bloomfield is passionate about entrepreneurship, as well as the social sustainability of food production. He has taught numerous introductory business management and accounting courses that act as the foundation for the management and organizational program at Huron University College. Recently, Richie has collaborated with fellow faculty member Alexander Miller to co-create new business case studies alongside current Huron students for these courses. The cases spotlight emerging business models such as social enterprise, non-profit and co-op as well as centring diverse voices in these spaces.
This year, Richie is introducing a new upper-year course focused on how to start a business or social enterprise building on his own real-world experience. He co-founded Urban Roots London in 2017, a non-profit urban farm that is addressing issues around food access. In late 2019 he also co-founded Sidetrack: A Wortley Café where his passion for entrepreneurship and community intersects with his love for espresso.
Richie is a proud alumna of Huron University College from the Centre for Global Studies as well as a graduate from the Ivey Business School from both the HBA and MBA programs.
Summary of Research:
Business Case Studies
- Nuts for Cheese: US Expansion?; November 2022. (Open Access, HuronResearch.ca)
- Friendlier: Growth in Re-Use; November 2022. (Open Access, HuronResearch.ca)
- Style Inc.: Fine Bespoke Tailoring; August 2017. (Ivey Publishing Case Number 9B17B018)
- Alrich Farms: Cash Flow Analysis; April 2017. (Ivey Publishing Case Number 9B17B008)
- Habitual Chocolate: Expansion Opportunities; November 2016. (Ivey Publishing Case Number 9B16B018)
- Hospitality Services — Eatery Challenges; March 2016. (Ivey Publishing Case Number 9B16B002)