Welcome to Writing Services at Huron!
Our teaching-based centre supports student writing and communication development, as well as targeted academic course support, at Huron University College. Working in a one-to-one, low-stakes environment, our Peer Tutors, ELL Specialists, and Graduate Fellows guide students as they move through the processes of brainstorming, outlining, drafting, and polishing their communication pieces. Meanwhile, our Math Specialist and Business Tutors work with students in math, business, accounting, and economics courses. Through discussion, short lessons, and the provision of resources, students will retain control over their own writing and coursework.
Writing Services is offering the following services for the Winter 2022 semester:
- One-to-one and small group booked appointments are available online in both synchronous (live on Zoom with your tutor) and asynchronous (tutor reviews your paper independently during your appointment and returns it to you by email at the end of the time) formats. This applies to booked sessions for writing, communications, English language support, and course content tutoring
- Drop-in virtual support may be available if a tutor is not booked. Please feel free to join our Zoom sessions via the appropriate buttons here, and a tutor will admit you into the session if they are available
- Virtual Writing Café provides an opportunity for you to get your reading and writing done in a low-pressure and social environment. Drop-in and no registration required. Mondays and Wednesdays 9:30 – 11:30 am EST
- Drop-in, just-in-time support for writing and communications is also available in-person at the Research Help Desk in the Huron Commons: Tuesday – Friday, 12:00 pm – 3:00 pm
- (Deferred for the Winter 2022 term) In-person opportunities to join workshops are available by request from campus partners (e.g., other academic units, residence dons, etc.). Such opportunities are generally advertised by those who have organized the workshop
If you have any questions about our programming, please reach out to our Manager, Writing and Learning Services, Matt Rahimian. We look forward to working with you this year!
The Writing Services Team