fbpx Academic Advising FAQ | Huron University


Learn More

Donate Now

Are You In Crisis?

Contact Us

Degree and Module Requirements


How many credits do I need for my degree?

For a four-year degree, students require 20.0 credits. For a three-year degree, students require 15.0 credits. Students may take longer than three or four years, respectively, to complete their degree requirements. A maximum of 7.0 first year credits can count towards one’s degree. 

What courses do I need for my module?

You can view admission requirements and required courses for your module on the Academic Calendar under “Modules/Programs”.

How many courses can I have in one subject?

For a four-year degree, you can have up to 14.0 credits in one subject. For a three-year degree, you can have up to 9.0 credits in one subject.

How many courses do I need to be full-time?

To be considered full-time at Huron, you are required to take 3.5 courses or more per academic year. OSAP may have different requirements for what it means to be full-time. Consult Huron’s Financial Aid Officer for more information.

What happens if I fail a course?

Failing a course will decrease your cumulative average. An ‘F’ will not be removed from your record, even if you repeat the course. You can take a course again (up to three times, depending on the situation) and it is always the most recent attempt that counts. If you have more than 6.0 fails, you will be required to withdraw from the university. 

What are some other degree requirements?

Students must complete their breadth requirements. Breadth requirements including having at least 1.0 credits in Category A (Social Science), Category B (Arts and Humanities), and Category C (Math and Science). Students must complete at least 2.0 essay credits, at least 1.0 must be at the 2000 level or above.


What averages do I need to achieve/maintain?

To graduate or to be in good standing, students require a minimum modular and cumulative average of at least 60%. For honors programs, students require averages of at least 70%. In many cases, averages required are program dependent. Check the Academic Calendar to determine what grades/averages are required for your program.

How can I change my program?

Students can request to change their program though their Student Centre during the Intent to Register (ITR) period which takes place every year in February and March. Students must complete an ITR whether they wish to remain in the same program or change programs. Students will only be admitted into a program if they meet the requirements outlined in the Academic Calendar.

What if I don’t get into the program I want?

Students are encouraged to create parallel plans so if their first choice program doesn’t work out, they have a second choice. If a student can’t get into their chosen program, they will be “Undeclared”. Students are encouraged to check out the Academic Calendar to explore program options and to meet with an Academic Advisor for more information.

Where can I view my program and status?

Students can view their program and status through their Student Centre under “My Program”. Students’ programs are typically updated in mid-June after they are reviewed by an Academic Advisor.

Where can I view my grades?

Students can view their grades through their Student Centre under “View My Grades” or “Web Academic Report”. 

How do I view what courses are offered?
How do I enroll in courses?

Students can enroll in courses through their Student Centre by following the prompts under “Enroll in Classes”. Students must have a valid enrolment appointment before they can enroll in courses. Students can check their enrolment appointment under “Open Enrollment Dates”. These dates will be updated throughout the summer. Before students can enroll in summer courses, they must do “Summer Term Activation” through their Student Centre.

Can I drop a course?

Students can withdraw from a course with no academic penalty up until the drop date. A “WDN” may appear on your academic record. Check the Academic Calendar for the last day to add or drop a course.

Academic Resources

What resources are available to help me do well academically?

There are numerous resources available to help Huron students succeed. These resources include Huron’s Writing Services and Western’s Learning Skills Services

Can Huron help me find a tutor for one of my courses?

Huron’s Writing Services offers one-on-one content supports for certain courses for subjects including Math and Economics. Students can sign up for these appointments for free through Huron’s website. Our office does not connect students with private tutors. Your instructors or peers may be able to make tutor recommendations.


What happens if I need to miss a test, midterm, or hand an assignment in late?

Depending on why you had to miss your test, midterm, or hand your assignment in late, you may be able to be accommodated. Huron Student Support Services will accommodate students for medical considerations, compassionate considerations, varsity athletic commitments, or religious considerations. Appropriate documentation is required as well as Accommodation Request Form (which can be accessed through Huron SSS). If approved, it will be up to your instructor as to how the evaluation will be accommodated (ex. Write makeup, re-weight other evaluations, accept late assignment).

I have a flight booked on the same day as an exam. Can I be accommodated for this?

No, students cannot be accommodated for things like flights, weddings, or interviews.

I am scheduled to write four exams in two days. Can I be accommodated for this?

Yes, students can be accommodated for exams in the December or April exam period if a student has 3 exams within 23 hours, 4 exams within 47 hours, or 5 exams within 71 hours. The time between exams is considered from when the exam starts.

I had an IEP in high school. Can I have something like this as a Huron Student?

Students who had an IEP in high school may be eligible for supports through Student Accessibility Services (SAS, formerly SSD). These supports may include additional time for exams or writing in a private space. Students are responsible for ensuring that they use the SAS supports and accommodations as outlined by SAS. For additional information, visit the SAS website

Probation and Required to Withdraw Status

What does it mean to be on probation?

A student will be put on probation if their cumulative average is below 55% (for first year students) or below 60% (for senior level students). A student who is put on probation must meet with an Academic Advisor and meet conditions of their probation contract in order to be back in good standing.

What does it mean to be required to withdraw (RTW)?

A student will be required to withdraw if their cumulative average is below 50% (for first year students) or below 55% (for senior level students); has failed more than 6.0 courses; or has not met probation requirements. A student who is RTW cannot take courses from the university for a minimum of twelve months. A student who has been RTW can apply for readmission to return to Huron after twelve months. Students who are RTW can apply for a Dean’s Waiver which, if granted, permits a student to continue at Huron under Dean’s Waiver conditions.

Taking Courses Away from Huron

What are Residency Requirements?

Residency Requirements dictate that Huron students must take at least 60% of their courses at Huron each academic year. The other 40% can be taken at Western, King’s, or Brescia. If a course is offered at Huron, students must take it at Huron. Residency Requirements do not apply during the summer term or for students on exchange.

How can I do an exchange through Huron?

Students who’d like to go on exchange are encouraged to do so in their third year. Tuition is paid to Huron. For additional information about exchange, visit Huron’s website, click here

What is a Letter of Permission (LOP)?

An LOP allows students to take a required course away from Huron have them count it towards their degree. Only courses required for one’s program will be considered. Contact Huron Student Support Services for additional information.

Do any Huron courses include a travel component?

Yes, Huron’s Political Science department has offered a course where students travel to Rwanda. Huron’s Centre for Global Studies department also has opportunities for students to get Huron credit while travelling internationally. Typically, students will have to submit an application for these courses. Reach out to the appropriate department to learn more.

Key Contacts

Betty Camarinha

Academic Advisor
519.438.7224 ext. 252

8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.                  Monday - Friday

Erie Conners

Academic Advisor, International Students
519.438.7224 ext. 855

8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.                  Monday - Friday

Jennifer Morocco

519.438.7224 ext. 702

8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.                  Monday - Friday

Laura Sedgwick, MA

Academic Advisor, International Students
519.438.7224 ext. 270

8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.                  Monday - Friday

Megan Thorne

Academic Advisor
519.438-7224 ext. 276

8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.                  Monday - Friday

Send Your Message

Enter the characters shown in the image.