Teaching & Learning
Where does teaching end and learning begin?
Here at Huron, our small class sizes, dedicated professors, and numerous immersive, student-led projects make the two inseparable.
Through a blend of active and experiential learning, our students build strong, reciprocal networks as they learn from—and teach—their professors, fellow students, and communities.
The result: an enriched educational experience as communal as it is personal. Curious, proficient scholars who feel connected to their work. A community that values and is valued by each and every member.
What can we learn from you?
Learning at Huron
Through continuous research and consultation with professionals and our valued students, we've cultivated a learning experience that’s productive, encouraging, and personalized—one where you’ll never be afraid to raise your hand.
Here’s what that commitment looks like:
- Individualized: Huron knows your name. Our small class sizes allow our students to receive 1-on-1 attention and guidance from the professor who actually designed the course. You can track your progress, develop your personalized learning trajectory, and maybe even land a paid research job with your favourite prof—all while building long-term, supportive networks with your classmates.
- Experiential: Learning isn’t one-dimensional, so why should teaching be? From day one at Huron, you’ll have access to a broad but interconnected range of experiential learning opportunities here and across the globe. Our holistic approach meaningfully links courses, opportunities, and you, so you’ll build on that learning year after year.
- Innovative: Who says university can’t be practical? Our professors keep up with (and contribute to) the latest developments in pedagogy. Huron classes will see you completing immersive, career-boosting projects like documentaries, websites, and even international research—then retaining your learning long past finals.
- Supportive: Education can be overwhelming, but we’ve got you. Peer writing tutors, research support, and integrated wellness services are here to keep you on track. Ready for more? Take on a custom Research Fellowship—a faculty mentor will support you every step of the way.
- Collaborative: Everyone has something valuable to contribute. Whether you’re helping a professor write their newest article (and getting paid to do it) or sharing your work at one of our conferences, your knowledge is sure to enrich those around you—and you’ll be learning plenty from them, too.
- Community-based: Huron students care—and they make an impact. You can find our students influencing local government policy, documenting local and international histories of oppression, educating high schoolers about safe social media usage, and more.
Colleen Burgess, MLIS - ON LEAVE
ON LEAVE (May 2019 – April 2020)
Deanne van Tol, PhD
8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday - Friday