Changes to Library & Learning Services
As a part of the current campus-wide reduced staffing model, Library & Learning Services at Huron has moved to an online-only service model at this time.
Facility Access, Physical Collections
Based on a directive from Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, all Library & Learning Services facilities have closed. At this time, general access to print collections is not available.
Huron students and faculty have access to a rich collection of online databases, e-books, e-journals, and other digital content to support their teaching and learning, and research and scholarship. Access to these resources are readily available online through our main page.
Western Libraries is working to actively enhance access to digital collections at this time, including working with vendors to remove restrictions on simultaneous use, which will allow more users to access e-books and e-journal content at the same time. In addition, thousands of new e-books are being added to the collection.
LLS staff are working remotely and are ready to support students with their coursework, final assignments, and studies. We have shifted all face-to-face consultation services to online modes and are ready to connect with students in the platform of their choice.
- Virtual Consultation Form (options for live audio/video chat are available)
As always, immediate help is also available by chat, email, or phone:
At this time, the following library services, provided on-site and in-person, are unavailable:
- library’s physical collection of books, journals, and other materials
- technology lending (e.g., device chargers, iPads and tablets)
- printing, photocopying, scanning
- individual study, and collaborative learning spaces and technologies
Should I return library materials now?
- Automatic notices have now been turned off, however, it is still possible that you may have received a notice, requesting that you return library materials. You are not required to return items at this time.
Where can I return materials?
- Please do not return materials to campus at this time. No late fees will be assigned for library materials signed out during the campus closure.
- If you must return materials, please return to them to the Education Library returns bin, at the North side of Althouse College. This is an exterior book drop located at the entrance to the Education Library, with easy drive up access for users. Please wear gloves or use some other barrier when touching the returns bin handle, and continue to follow good hygiene practices, as the handle is not being regularly sanitized. Please see the Campus Map here.
- If you are out of town but still in Ontario and must return materials, you may return them to any Ontario university's library. We do urge that you hold onto your books at this time, however.
What about library fines?
- We do not charge fines on general loan material. All fines on other materials will be waived when the items are returned and library staff return to campus.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions regarding all Library and Learning Services at Huron.
For questions about Huron’s COVID-19 response, visit: https://huronatwestern.ca/coronavirus