Chinese, Japanese and East Asia Studies
Leaders with Heart must understand a wide range of global forces to effectively navigate our rapidly changing interconnected world. What better way to develop these insights than by building an awareness of the business, religious, linguistic and cultural practices of one of the most influential areas in the world.
Distinguish yourself as a leader who can bridge North American and East Asian organizations. Develop the cultural sensitivity and foundational understanding about how different perspectives can be balanced to motivate action and achieve economic and social good.
Learn from professors who have a deep knowledge of China, Japan and East Asia more broadly. This faculty comes together, from across the world, to lead students to a move fulsome understanding of these rich cultures, the societal foundations their built upon and the people who define them. This department is dedicated to incorporating critical thought, intensive research elements and interactive activities and community engagement projects to ensure students engage with well-rounded learning environments.
Take time to get to know the names and faces who will be supporting you every step of the way as you embark on an enriching exploration of East Asia.
Chinese, Japanese and East Asia Studies Department
- Dr. Mariana Ionescu, Chair & Associate Professor, French and Asian Studies, 519.438.7224 ext. 259, Rm A210
- Dr. Yan Lu, Assistant Professor, Chinese Program, 519.438.7224 ext. 332, Rm A7
- Dr. Michiya Kawai, Associate Professor and Co-ordinator, Japanese Program, 519.438.7224 ext. 330, Rm A214
- Dr. Sawako Akai, Assistant Professor, Japanese Program, 519.438.7224 ext. 243, Rm A213
Program sessional and per course instructors
- Dr. Clare Gordon, Assistant Professor and Coordinator, Chinese Program, 519.438.7224 ext. 228, Rm A11
- Dr. Guoyuan (Kevin) Liu, Assistant Professor, Chinese Program, 519.438.7224 ext. 277, Rm A104
- Dr. Li Fang (Lucy) He, Assistant Professor, Chinese Program, 519.438.7224 ext. 331, Rm A10
- Mitsume Fukui, Lecturer, Japanese Program, 519.438.7224 ext. 277, Rm A9
- Ms. Rie Shirakawa, Lecturer, Japanese Program, 519.438.7224 ext.135, Rm A9
- Mr. Christopher White, Lecturer, Japanese Program, 519.438.7224 ext. 277, Lucas Annex
- Dr. Laura Wu, email@example.com
Chinese, Japanese and East Asian Studies Careers
East Asia Studies will prepare you for a variety of careers; employers today are looking for people with the ability to analyze information, to find creative solutions to problems and to effectively communicate their ideas. These skills are acquired when studying language and literature.
- Teaching (Foreign Language in Canada)
- Teaching (English in East Asia)
- Graduate studies on East Asia
- Canadian and International Business (in East Asia)
- Diplomatic services
- Intelligence analyst
- Foreign services
Clare Gordon, PhD
Mariana Ionescu, PhD
Michiya Kawai, PhD
Sahana Mazumder, MES
8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday - Friday