Director, Advancement Operations
Huron University is completely unique to post-secondary institutions in Canada. With the aim to redefine Liberal Arts education, Huron is creating a university experience unlike any other that prioritizes ethical leadership and community engagement, as much as the pursuit of academic achievement.
As the founding institution of Western University, since 1863, Huron has remained strategically small to best serve the needs of its students. We provide an elite, yet accessible, education, because every student with the passion and work ethic to positively change our world deserves to access the knowledge to understand it and the skills to shape it. Huron’s mission is to develop Leaders with Heart from all backgrounds and foster a vibrant and inclusive community and prepare students to be engaged citizens who transform the sectors they work within. Our commitment to providing the best-possible Liberal Arts education means students have many unique opportunities to enrich their learning experiences.
The Director, Advancement Operations provides innovative process & operational leadership to successfully manage the day to day advancement operations as well as continuous improvement efforts to ensure an exceptional gift-giving experience with Huron. The Advancement Team at Huron provides integrated expertise and support in the areas of donation systems, data administration & process, fundraising analysis and reporting, prospect management and research, gift management and Alumni & Donor services.
The Director is a seasoned leader, communicator and operations professional, ready to jump into a history-rich institution within a start-up culture. Putting your innovative thinking and desire to make a big impact to work, you will lead various key initiatives to drive the Huron mission forward. The Director, Advancement Operations reports to the Associate Vice President, Advancement and is part of the overall University Growth Department.
- Lead, coach and develop a team of 3 across various advancement functions; including Alumni & Donor Relations, Prospect Management & Research & Advancement support
- Employ expertise in managing, analyzing and leveraging the data needed to inform organizational strategy and conduct the operations that engage and steward organizations’ stakeholders, supporters and members.
- Lead the continuous improvement & process efficiency efforts across Advancement (i.e. donor experience, donation process, gift management)
- Accountable for the effectiveness of the donation system & critical reporting functions – both internal and the external donation user experience
- Manage fundraising policies & procedures and the end to end donation process to ensure sustainable and compliant practices
- Accountable to develop & maintain gift agreements for Huron and disburse gifts in accordance with the terms of the gift agreements
- Manage the Foundations and Corporations fundraising portfolio
- Internal and external contact related to donation & gift services
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Exceptional people leadership skills, encompassing the ability to motivate and empower team members to excel in their roles
- Ability to operate at a strategic level, anticipating trends in the business landscape, presenting ideas and implementing solutions to support growth and forward movement
- Passion for customer service and improving every step of a customer experience
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, forward-thinking environment
- Exceptional skills in fostering strong collaborative relationships with a variety of key partners & stakeholders, contributing to Huron’s success
- Knowledge and understanding of innovative strategies that enhance process & overall effectiveness within an operational unit
- Solid understanding and strict adherence to ethical fundraising standards and supporting legislation.
- Knowledge of a university environment (academic, research, governance, operations, administration, media) and the relationship with donors.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited institution with a focus on business or a related discipline.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of relevant and progressively responsible leadership experience in Advancement Operations, Development Operations or Fundraising Operations.
- Demonstrated supervisory and management experience leading teams and collaboration across teams and external partners.
- Demonstrated experience leading & executing significant initiatives or Institution priorities \
- Experience effectively leading organizations or teams through change
- Experience analyzing and utilizing data for decision making.
- Experience promoting a welcoming environment for alumni, donors, friends of Huron, staff, faculty and community members from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their application by February 15th, 2020 at 11:59 pm. Letters of application and a current curriculum vitae, including three references should be submitted in confidence to Justin Henry, Director of Human Resources:
Mail: 1349 Western Road, London, ON, N6G 1H3
Huron values its place in an interconnected world and desires to reflect this value, acknowledging our responsibility to strive towards a diverse and equitable employment and educational environment that recognizes the inherent worth and dignity of every person. We encourage applications from qualified members of the four designated groups, and persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
Applications from all qualified individuals are invited; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given hiring priority. We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected to proceed in the competition will be contacted. Should you require accommodation in making an application please contact Huron by phone at 519-438-7224 or at the email address above.